Management Assistance Program
Opening Your Law Practice
"Opening Your Law Practice" is a free semi-annual seminar for new lawyers, those returning to private practice or those venturing out on their own. The program will address resources for starting a law practice, building client service and satisfaction systems, client development and marketing, client file management, professional liability insurance, professionalism, trust accounting and legal ethics, law office software and equipment and accounting and tax for law firms.
Information for the May 5, 2020, program.
Operating a law practice is running a business. Recent law school graduates will recognize that law schools do not cover much in the way of business operations. Even an experienced lawyer who has been an associate or partner in a firm may still have been shielded from the nuts and bolts of business operations.
- Going Solo: Big Bucks and No Boss! The Nuts and Bolts of Opening Your Own Law Office
An in-depth guide and helpful tips on opening your own law practice.
- First Steps in Building Your New Law Firm
Checklist and detailed description for starting a law practice
- Business Organizations for Lawyers and Law Firms
Learn the differences between Professional Corporations
- The Changing Practice of Law
Read about general changes happening in society, the business world and practice of law
- "Technology & Office Management" issue, Oklahoma Bar Journal, August 19, 2017 - Volume 88, No. 21
- 'Hire Slow, Fire Fast' or 'Hire Smarter, Fire Less?' - Read about general changes happening in society, the business world and practice of law
- Using QuickBooks for IOLTA Trust Accounting - Step-by-step guide to using QuickBooks
- Selecting a Law Practice Management Solution - Helpful information and brief descriptions of different law practice management solutions
- Small Office Image/Backup with Acronis True Image - The importance of backing up your computer system and information on using Acronis True Image
- Cybersecurity Basics - Helpful steps for protecting yourself from a data breach
- Fee Agreements and Bills That Clients Will Pay
Information on determining how to improve client payments on bills
- 25 Tips for the New Lawyer (a very quick read)
Helpful tips for new lawyers
- 17 Things I Wish I Knew As A New Associate
Compiled list of advice for a first-year associate
- Financing a Law Practice
Options that sole practitioners and small firms may consider
- Checklist for Going into Business
Start your business in 10 steps
- Picking the Best Law Office Software
Tips to help pick “the best” software for you
- Checklist for Setting Up a New Law Office
Ideas for consideration and suggestions for improvements for the many products and services you will need to set up a new law office
- Law Practice Today - Suddenly Solo Issue (July 2009)
Webzine special for lawyers is a great resource for anyone starting a Law Practice
- Office Sharing: The Promise and Pitfalls
- Office Sharing Checklist
Tips for office sharing arrangements
- Starting a New Law Practice
Article, checklist and resources prepared by the South Carolina Bar Association.
- Resources: How to Start and Run a Law Practice
A Web directory from the ABA General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Section. It provides links to many resources including back issues of the section’s New Lawyer.
- Unlock Your Potential: Hanging Out Your Shingle
A 79-page guide on setting up a law practice
- My Shingle Online Guide to Starting a Practice
MyShingle original Online Guide, which has been a flagship resource at MyShingle
- Oklahoma Limited Liability Forms
Procedures for Organizing an Oklahoma Limited Liability Company
- Oklahoma Tax Commission
Oklahoma Tax Commission information, forms and publications, etc.
- Internal Revenue Services
IRS info and links Change Internal Revenue Services to Internal Revenue Service
- Trust Reconciliation Example Form
This form can assist with three-way reconciliation of trust accounting
- Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts
Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts (IOLTA) is a unique and innovative way to increase access to justice for individuals and families living in poverty and to improve our justice system