Oklahoma Bar Journal
Leading is a Choice, Let Us Honor It
By Kara I. Smith
The time has come for the OBA Awards Committee to solicit nominations of individuals and entities that are making positive contributions to our community. While the COVID impacts are still present and things have not all the way returned to normal yet, our efforts to identify those who are deserving should always be among our priorities. So, the OBA Awards Committee is asking you to do just that. Make it a priority to look among your peers, search your legal associations and look around our communities for those who choose the path to lead and influence our communities for the better.
The OBA Awards Committee invites you to review the list of OBA awards below and to join the OBA in its efforts to identify individuals and entities that fit the bill, who at the end of the day are that person or group that acts not for the recognition but because it needs to be done, or it is the right thing to do. Please submit your nomination. Please spread the word to your colleagues and friends about this call, the process and ultimately encourage them to submit a nomination.
NOMINATION RULES AND TIPS
The deadline is 5 p.m. Thursday, July 1, but get your nomination in EARLY! Nominations, complete with all supporting materials, MUST be received by the deadline. Submissions or supporting material received after the deadline will not be considered.
Length of nomination is a maximum of five 8 ½ x 11-inch, one-sided pages, including supporting materials and the form, if used. No exceptions.
- Make sure the name of the person being nominated and the person (or organization) making the nomination is on the nomination.
- If you think someone qualifies for awards in several categories, pick one award and only do one nomination. The OBA Awards Committee may consider the nominee for an award in a category other than one in which you nominate that person.
- Submission options (pick one):
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org (you will receive a confirmation reply);
- fax: 405-416-7089;
- mail: OBA Awards Committee, P.O. Box 53036, Oklahoma City, OK 73152.
Visit www.okbar.org/awards for the nomination form if you want to use one (not required), history of previous winners and tips for writing nominations.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kara Smith is general counsel for the Oklahoma Health Care Authority. She serves as Awards Committee chairperson.
Originally published in the Oklahoma Bar Journal -- OBJ 92 No. 5 (May 2021)