Diversity Awards Deadline Extended
August 3, 2021
The OBA Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher Diversity Awards deadline has been extended to August 16, 2021.
Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher was born February 8, 1924, in Chickasha. She boldly challenged and forever changed segregation laws on her path to achieving her lifelong ambition of becoming a lawyer and was a key figure in the Civil Rights Movement.
One or more diversity awards will be given to a business, group, or organization that has an office in the state of Oklahoma and has met one or more of the following criteria:
- Developed and implemented an effective equal opportunity program as demonstrated by the organization’s commitment to the recruitment, retention, and promotion of individuals of underrepresented populations regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination
- Promoted diversity initiatives that establish and foster a more inclusive and equitable work environment
- Demonstrated continued corporate responsibility by devoting resources for the improvement of the community at large
- Exhibited insightful leadership to confront and resolve inequities through strategic decision-making, allocation of resources, and establishment of priorities
Two more diversity awards will be given to licensed attorneys, and an additional award will be given to a member of the Oklahoma judiciary who has met one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrated dedication to raising issues of diversity and protecting civil and human rights
- Led the development of innovative or contemporary measures to fight discrimination and the effects
- Fostered positive communication and actively promoted inter-group relations among populations of different backgrounds
- Participated in a variety of corporate and community events that promoted mutual respect, acceptance, cooperation, or tolerance and contributed to diversity awareness in the community and workplace
- Reached out to a diverse array of attorneys to understand firsthand the experiences of someone from a different background
- Submission deadline is Monday, August 16, 2021.
- Include the name, address, and contact number of the nominee.
- Describe the nominee’s contributions and accomplishments in the area of diversity.
- Identify the diversity award category (business/group/organization, licensed attorney, or judiciary) in which the nominee is being nominated.
- Submissions should not exceed five pages in length.
- Email submissions to: email@example.com or online https://www.okbar.org/diversityawards/.