The Legislative Monitoring Committee focuses on the following measures:
- Administration of justice
- Court organization, selection, tenure, salary and other incidents of the judicial office
- Rules and laws affecting practice and procedure in the courts and in administrative bodies exercising adjudicatory functions
- The practice of law
OBA Bylaws Art. VIII Sec 3
Legislative Proposals and Endorsements in Principle:
- The House of Delegates has the authority to place a measure on the Legislative Program or to endorse it in principle, with at least a 60% vote.
OBA Bylaws Art. VIII Sec 5
Action by the Association upon proposals for improvement of the law by legislation or by judicial rule shall consist of:
- Adoption as part of the Legislative Program of the Association;
- Endorsement in principle.
OBA Bylaws Art. VIII Sec 2
July 21, 2020 - Online
The Legislative Monitoring Committee will host a 2.5 hour seminar with presenters sharing bills that have passed they believe will have the most impact on the subject area of the practice. Check back for additional information.
2:00 p.m. - Welcome
OBA President Susan Shields
Native American Law
Carolyn Romberg, Retired Deputy General Counsel / Director Chickasaw Nation
15 Minutes – Tribal Gaming Issues; McGirt v. Oklahoma
Steve Buck, President & CEO of Care Providers Oklahoma
15 Minutes – Coronavirus Issues
Rachel Bussett & Patricia Podolec, Bussett Legal Group, PLLC
15 Minutes – Covid-19 related employment issues
Camal Pennington, University of Oklahoma College of Law
15 Minutes – Highlight non-coronavirus related bills
Richard Stevens, OBA Ethics Counsel
30 Minutes – Maintaining attorney ethics during pandemic
Rep. Emily Virgin, Sen. Kay Floyd, and Sen. Brent Howard
(Moderator Miles Pringle)
30 Minutes – Views from the Session
All views or opinions expressed by any presenter during the course of this CLE is that of the presenter alone and not an opinion of the OBA, the Legislative Monitoring Committee, or the employers or affiliates of the presenters unless specifically stated.