Diversity Awards: Committee Encourages Nominations
Deadline July 15
The inclusion of people of differing races or cultures in a group or organization perfectly describes diversity. One of the primary goals of the Oklahoma Bar Association’s Diversity Committee is to honor those in the legal profession and community who continuously work toward acceptance, tolerance and respect in our profession.
The Diversity Committee is now accepting nominations for the Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher Diversity Awards to be given on Oct. 21. The awards categories include: members of the judiciary, licensed attorneys, and groups and entities that have championed the cause of diversity. All nominations must be received by
July 15, 2016.
NOMINATIONS AND SUBMISSIONS
- Include name, address and contact number of the nominee.
- Describe the nominee’s contributions and accomplishments in the area of diversity.
- Identify the diversity award category (business/group/organization, licensed attorney or judiciary) in which the nominee is being nominated.
- The submission deadline is July 15.
- Submissions should not exceed five pages in length.
- Submit nominations to email@example.com
SELECTION CRITERIA AND NOMINATION PROCESS
One or more diversity awards will be given to a business, group or organization that has an office in the state of Oklahoma and has met one or more of the following criteria:
- Developed and implemented an effective equal opportunity program as demonstrated by the organization’s commitment to the recruitment, retention and promotion of individuals of underrepresented populations regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other prohibited basis of discrimination
- Promoted diversity initiatives that establish and foster a more inclusive and equitable work environment
- Demonstrated continued corporate responsibility by devoting resources for the improvement of the community at large
- Exhibited insightful leadership to confront and resolve inequities through strategic decision-making, allocation of resources and establishment of priorities
Two more diversity awards will be given to licensed attorneys and an additional award will be given to a member of the Oklahoma judiciary who has met one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrated dedication to raising issues of diversity and protecting civil and human rights
- Led the development of innovative or contemporary measures to fight discrimination and the effects
- Fostered positive communication and actively promoted inter-group relations among populations of different backgrounds
- Participated in a variety of corporate and community events that promoted mutual respect, acceptance, cooperation or tolerance and contributed to diversity awareness in the community and workplace
- Reached out to a diverse array of attorneys to understand firsthand the experiences of someone from a different background
For more information regarding the selection criteria and nomination process, contact OBA Diversity Committee Chair Tiece Dempsey at 405-609-5406 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Originally published in the Oklahoma Bar Journal, Vol. 87, No. 14 (May 21, 2016)