Diversity Awards: Call for Nominations
Deadline June 20, 2014
|Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher painting by Mitsuno Ishii Reedy
Do you know a judge or lawyer who has championed the cause of diversity? Have you worked with a business or organization that is demonstrating leadership in promoting diversity initiatives in the workplace or community? Now is the time to nominate them for the third annual Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher Diversity Awards, which will spotlight the work and accomplishments of those in our profession who advocate for greater equality and inclusiveness.
Nominations will be accepted in the following categories: members of the judiciary, licensed attorneys, and groups and entities that have championed the cause of diversity. All nominations must be received by June 20, 2014. Recipients will be honored at the OBA Diversity Committee CLE and Awards Luncheon on Oct. 16, 2014.
Information regarding the selection criteria and nomination process may also be accessed at www.okbar.org. For additional information, please contact OBA Diversity Committee Chair Ruth Addison at 918-587-0000.
SELECTION CRITERIA AND NOMINATION PROCESS
Three diversity awards will be given to a business, group or organization that has an office in the state of Oklahoma and has met one or more of the following criteria:
- Developed and implemented an effective equal opportunity program as demonstrated by the organization’s commitment to the recruitment, retention and promotion of individuals of underrepresented populations regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other prohibited basis of discrimination
- Promoted diversity initiatives that establish and foster a more inclusive and equitable work environment
- Demonstrated continued corporate responsibility by devoting resources for the improvement of the community at large
- Exhibited insightful leadership to confront and resolve inequities through strategic decision-making, allocation of resources and establishment of priorities
Two more diversity awards will be given to licensed attorneys and an additional award will be given to a member of the Oklahoma judiciary who has met one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrated dedication to raising issues of diversity and protecting civil and human rights
- Led the development of innovative or contemporary measures to fight discrimination and the effects
- Fostered positive communication and actively promoted inter-group relations among populations of different backgrounds
- Participated in a variety of corporate and community events that promoted mutual respect, acceptance, cooperation or tolerance and contributed to diversity awareness in the community and workplace
- Reached out to a diverse array of attorneys to understand firsthand the experiences of someone from a different background
NOMINATIONS & SUBMISSIONS
- Include name, address and contact number of the nominee.
- Describe the nominee’s contributions and accomplishments in the area of diversity.
- Identify the diversity award category (business/group/organization, licensed attorney or judiciary) in which the nominee is being nominated.
The submission deadline is June 20, 2014. Submissions should not exceed five pages in length. Submit nominations to email@example.com.
The OBA Diversity Committee’s award honors the courage of Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher, who was the first African-American woman to attend an all-white law school, the OUCollege of Law. The award recognizes her actions in championing the causes of diversity.