Governance & Membership


Can I Resign My Membership? Pursuant to 5 O.S. 2011, ch. 1, app. 1 art. II §3 (2011 Supp.) Rules Creating and Controlling the Oklahoma Bar Association, “Any member may resign his membership in the Association by filing with the Executive Director a written resignation, whereupon he shall automatically cease to be a member and shall not thereafter be entitled to the privileges and advantages of membership in the Association. The Executive Director shall publicize the fact of resignation and shall cause a record thereof to be made in the records of the Association and of the Clerk of the Supreme Court.”

See Rules Creating and Controlling the Oklahoma Bar Assoc. Art. II §3 and Rules Governing Disciplinary Proceedings for information regarding resignation pending discipline.

How do I resign my membership? To ensure authenticity, send a written resignation request by mail or facsimile to the OBA Executive Director. After approval of resignation is received from the General Counsel, a letter acknowledging your resignation will be mailed to you and to the Clerk of the Supreme Court.

What if I change my mind and want to return as a member? You can be reinstated by following the procedure as set out in Rule 11 of the Rules Governing Disciplinary Proceedings. (Although Rule 11 references suspended members and disciplinary matters, the procedure for reinstatement to active membership is the same.)

Send resignation request to:

John Morris Williams
Executive Director
Oklahoma Bar Association
P.O. Box 53036
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-3036


Fax 405-416-7001

(Email not acceptable.)